FCCPS FY 2012-2013
This page is provided as a public clearinghouse of information concerning the Falls Church City Public Schools fiscal year 2013 budget.
Update: March 12, 2012
School Board Budget Presentation to City Council
Update: March 6, 2012
School Board Adopts FY13 Budget: 5.3%
Increase, Modest Pay Increase for Staff
By a vote of 6-1, the Falls Church City School Board has approved a $37.6 million operating budget for the coming school year. The FY13 budget plan is 5.3% larger than the current fiscal year, and includes the first full year 'full step' increase for staff in nearly three years.
Board member Kieran Sharpe was the only member to oppose the budget plan saying he doesn't believe "it goes far enough to correct the inequalities" in compensation and program funding with neighboring school systems.
The approved budget, due to take effect on July 1st, calls for a 7.4% increase in the transfer from the Falls Church City Council. This is the first increase in local funding sought since 2008 and amounts to $165,000 less than was requested that year. During those same four years the FCCPS student population has increased 15% with nearly a third of that increase coming in the last year alone.
The school board's approved budget includes:
- hiring of five new teachers K-8 and 2 high school special education teachers;
- full step salary increase for all eligible employees beginning July 2012;
- plans for "hybrid learning" - blending high-quality teachers with digital content and tools;
- replacement/update of 11 year old math and science textbooks for elementary and middle schools;
- complete wireless network for George Mason High and enhancement to Mary Ellen Henderson's network;
With the approval, the budget is now forwarded to the City Manager for inclusion in his proposed fiscal budget that will be debated in the coming weeks.
The board said its budget reflects priorities outlined in its "Five Pillars of Excellence" - small schools, small classes, 21st Century teaching and learning, outstanding staff and readiness for learning.
Update: January 12, 2012
Total Increase in Superintendent’s Recommended Budget: 5.3%
As we begin the important work of finalizing a budget for the upcoming school year, we need to clear up some confusion. Due to reduced funding at both the state and federal levels, we are requesting a 7.3% increase from the City. This is necessary to hold the division budget at a 5.3% increase overall.
There have been published reports that accidentally confused the two numbers.
Public Hearing Schedule Updated
The School Board has decided to appoint a new member to the board next Thursday, January 19th. To allow the new member time to join in the budget hearings from the start, we are adjusting the budget meeting schedule:
- January 31st – Public Hearing #1 (previously scheduled for January 24th)
- February 7th – Public Hearing #2
- February 14th – Public Hearing #3
- March 17th – Town Hall Meeting
- May 8th – Budget Adoption
Meeting Date: January 10, 2012
Superintendent Presents FY13 Budget Recommendations
Meeting Date: November 1, 2011
Joint City/FCCPS Budget Work Session